Search Our Catalog

Allgemeine & Waffen SS -
WWII Nazi German SS 1st Class Marksman's Sleeve Diamond 1.Schiessklasse Schutzenabzeichen
Item #: VF3972
N/A N/A N/A
Click on an image to enlarge
Roughly, 75mm tall, 45mm wide, vertical, black wool diamond base featuring a hand embroidered, "target" consisting of three, concentric, circular rings positioned above dual, crossed, oak-leaf sprigs all in bright, silver/aluminum wire threads. The insignia is mounted on a tan buckram backing and the reverse has a white paper RZM/SS label with black printed, Gothic/Fraktur script and the purple inkstamped manufacturer’s numerical code. The printed script to the label includes both the RZM logo and the SS runes within circular borders.
The Allgemeine-SS, (General-SS), was originally formed in May 1923 as the Stosstrupp Adolf Hitler (Shock Troops Adolf Hitler), and re-designated SS, Schutz Staffel, (Protection Squad), in April 1925 with the official acceptance of the name verified on the second anniversary of the failed Munich "Beer-Hall" Putsch on November 9TH 1925. On January 6TH 1929 Heinrich Himmler was appointed as Reichsführer-SS, (National Leader of the SS), and on July 20TH 1934 shortly after the, June 30TH 1934, purge of the SA, Sturm Abteilung, (Storm/Assault Detachment), on the "Night of the Long Knives", the SS was rewarded by Hitler by being granted the status of an independent organization under direct control of the NSDAP, National Sozialistische Deutsche Arbeiter Partei, (National Socialist German Worker’s Party). From its inception the SS began an aggressive policy of expansion which resulted in the formation of the SS-SD, SS-Sicherheitsdienst und Sicherheitspolizei, (SS-Security Service and Security Police), in June 1931, the SS-VT, SS-Verfügungstruppe, (SS-Special Purpose Troops), the SS-TV, SS-Totenkopfverbände, (SS-Death’s Head Units), in March 1933 and eventually the Waffen-SS, (Armed-SS), in December 1939. The wearing of specific, identifying, trade or speciality badges was an old tradition in the German army and was adopted by the SS to distinguish personnel who had successful completed the appropriate course and had achieved proficiency at a particular trade, specialty or function. Originally the SS had no insignia to distinguish qualified marksmen and in late 1936 they decided to use the old army pattern of sleeve braids as first introduced in January 1928. It is interesting to note that at the time of this decision the army had already abandoned the sleeve braids in favour of the marksman’s lanyard. In November 1937 the SS introduced a series of four marksman’s sleeve diamonds of their own design for award to qualified marksmen. The marksman’s sleeve diamonds consisted of the Master Shooters class, the Sharpshooters class, the Marksmen’s 1ST class and the Marksmen’s 2ND class with different requirements for each. The SS marksmen’s sleeve diamonds were utilized by all branches of the SS and were worn on the lower left sleeve of the uniform. This example is the Marksmen’s 1ST class insignia and was the third highest of the four marksman’s diamonds. Of Note: The RZM, Reich Zeug Meisterei, (National Equipment Quartermaster), was officially founded in June 1934 in Munich by the NSDAP, as a Reich Hauptamt, (State Central Office), and was based on the earlier SA Quartermaster’s Department. The functions of the RZM were not only to procure and distribute items to Party formations, but also to approve chosen designs and to act as a quality control supervisor to ensure items manufactured for the Party met required specification and were standardized. Starting in late 1934 items manufactured for the SS came under the quality control of the RZM and were marked with a RZM/SS approval/acceptance tags. In 1943 the Waffen-SS assumed full control over their uniform item production and no longer fell under the authority of the RZM.
Shipping Weight: 0.6 lb
Your Price $210.00 USD