Search Our Catalog

Allgemeine & Waffen SS -
WWII Nazi German Waffen SS Souvenirs From Mittenwald School Recovered By a GI of 66th Div.
Item #: VF3939
N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Click on an image to enlarge
Souvenirs taken from the SS Mountain Warfare School in Mittenwald Germanyin 1945. This lot contains a letter written by Sgt. Robert Forman of Parma Heights Ohio, ASN: 35058072 of the 66th Infantry Division to his sister talking about spending his time in Mittenwald during Christmas 1945. Also in the lot is a photograph of Sgt. Forman with a bottle of wine in his hands and behind him, a very sad looking Christmas tree with condoms being used as ornaments. Finally, there are two wooden artifacts taken from the school, an ashtray with the iconic SS ruins in the center and around the ruins is "Mittenwald 1945. This was carved in by Sgt. Forman during that time. Lastly, is a larger wooden plate also with the SS ruins with "Mittenwald 1945" carved in the plate as well. These artifacts were purchased by me from his son.

Combat Chronicle

Three regiments of the 66th Infantry Division arrived in Dorchester, England on November 26, 1944, and the rest of the Division joined them on December 12, 1944. They trained and prepared for deployment until December 24, 1944, then transferred to Southampton before crossing the English Channel to Cherbourg, France. Two Belgian transport vessels, the Chesire and Leopoldville carried the 66th across the English Channel. However, only 5 miles from the port of Cherbourg, the Leopoldville was torpedoed by a German U-Boat and sunk, taking the lives of 14 officers and 748 enlisted soldiers. The U.S. Navy later announced the sinking of the Leopoldville to be the second-largest loss of life from the sinking of a troop transport ship in the entire European Theater.

Primarily involved with destroying the Nazi troops left behind by the retreat from Northern France, the 66th Infantry Division relieved the 94th Infantry Division of control of the Brittany-Loire area on December 29, 1944, and collaborated with French forces as well. The 66th carried out its objective by harassing German installations, limited objective attacks, and running reconnaissance missions to gather intelligence. The use of artillery shelling many German positions also played a major part in the advancement of the 66th through the region. In total, there were about 100,000 German soldiers that remained in the ports of Lorient, St. Nazaire, Bordeaux and La Rochelle. Notably, a heavy German attack near La Croix was repulsed on April 16 1945 and several strongly fortified enemy positions were taken from April 19 to 29 1945 in a series of counterattacks. These battles played a pivotal role in ending the Nazi occupation of Northern France. The remaining Nazi soldiers surrendered to 66th Infantry Division Officers and French officials in a small cafe near Cordemais on May 8, 1945.

Ordered to change to an occupational-oriented mission May 14 1945, the 66th made a 700-mile trek into Germany where the Black Panthers occupied 2400 square miles of territory and the city of Koblenz. As a security force, the division was charged with establishment of a military government and control of all German affairs. Tasks included the dischargement of prisoners of war, inventorying of ammunition and supplies, and organizing civilians. After spending time in Germany, the 66th returned to the French coast to aid with the allied withdrawal from the European Theater. During this time, the Division was changed by the beginning of the deactivation process, until they returned to the U.S. and were formally deactivated.

The division consisted of these units:

  • 262d Infantry Regiment
  • 263d Infantry Regiment
  • 264th Infantry Regiment
  • HHB Division Artillery
    • 721st Field Artillery Battalion (155mm)
    • 870th Field Artillery Battalion (105mm)
    • 871st Field Artillery Battalion (105mm)
    • 872d Field Artillery Battalion (105mm)
  • 66th Reconnaissance Troop, Mechanized
  • 266th Engineer Combat Battalion
  • 366th Medical Battalion
  • 66th Counter Intelligence Corps Detachment
  • HQ Special Troops
  • Hqs Company, 66th Infantry Division
  • Military Police Platoon
  • 766th Ordnance Light Maintenance Company
  • 66th Quartermaster Company
  • 566th Signal Company

The 422d and 423d Infantry Regiments (from the 106th Infantry Division) were attached to the division from 15 April to 15 May 1945.

Shipping Weight: 3 lbs
Your Price $700.00 USD