Search Our Catalog

Headgear -
WWII Nazi German M38 Paratrooper Helmet Fallschirmjäger Stahlhelm M38
Item #: MCJ32
N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Click on an image to enlarge
Second pattern, later war, stamped sheet steel construction, paratrooper helmet retains about 98% of its slightly rough textured field-grey paint. All four of the liner retention bolts are intact and consist of the later, solid, slotted aluminum type. The interior of the helmet has a M38 tan leather liner, which is fully intact with a central stitched seam, twelve circular ventilation holes and black rubber padding to the helmet band and the interior crown. The liner is well marked with black inkstamped sizing, "Kopfweite Gr. 56 Stahlhaube Gr. 68" (Head size 56, {referring to the liner} Shell size 68). The lining also has additional black inkstamps that include a Rb No. The helmet comes complete with a blue/gray leather construction, dual "Y" pattern chin harness. The chin harness is fully intact and the leather is still quite supple. Nice untouched helmet, near MINT
As a result of observations of the Russian experimentation with the newly developing paratroop personnel in 1928 the Germans began serious consideration of also developing paratroop units and plans were drawn up for formation of such units in late 1935. Both the Luftwaffe and Army eventually established paratrooper units, consisting of voluntary personnel, on January 29TH 1936 and March 31ST 1937 respectively and a paratroop training school was established at Stendal in early 1937. Originally development of special clothing and equipment was undertaken by both branches of service to provide the paratroopers with functional items specifically designed with parachute jumps in mind until January 1ST 1939 when all the paratrooper units were transferred to control of the Luftwaffe. One of the items developed for the paratroopers was a specially designed helmet first introduced in 1935. This first pattern helmet was found unsuitable and a second pattern was introduced on June 16TH 1938, and remained in use until the end of the war with minor variations.
Price: $4,600.00 USD (Sale Pending)