Search Our Catalog

Medals & Badges -
WWII German Nazi Luftwaffe Pilot Badge By Gebruder Schneider Wein (BSW) Flugzeugführerabzeichen
Item #: VF4712
N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Click on an image to enlarge
Nice quality nickel/silver, die struck alloy construction two piece badge is in the form of a vertically oval, wreath with a separate spread winged eagle in flight, clutching a canted swastika in it’s talons, mounted on the wreath. The eagle is attached to the wreath by two, small, dome headed rivets which are visible to the reverse. The vertically oval wreath features embossed laurel leaves to the right side and oak-leaves to the left side. The nicely convexed wreath and the highly vaunted eagle both show nice detailing including intricate feathering to the wings, cut-outs to the swastika and high relief details to the wreath. The eagle’s wings extend beyond both sides of the wreath. The smooth reverse of the wreath has a soldered, barrel type hinge, a thin round vertical pin, and catch all intact. The reverse of the eagle is well marked with the stamped, manufacturers clover logo with the initials BSW "Gebruder Schneider of Wein"
The pilot’s qualification badge was originally introduced on January 19TH 1935 for award to personnel of the DLV, Deutscher Luftsportsverband Fliegerschaft, (German Air Sports Association, Pilot Base), the clandestine, civilian forerunner of the Luftwaffe, who had achieved their pilot’s license. The badge was officially adopted by the Luftwaffe on March 26TH 1936, by order of Hermann Göring. The pilot’s badge was awarded on an individual basis to personnel who had successfully completed the appropriate theory and flight training and had achieved their military pilot’s license. As with other flyer’s specialty badges a cloth version of the pilot’s badge was authorized for wear on the flight blouse with a machine embroidered pattern for EM/NCO’s and a hand embroidered pattern for Officers. Of Note: Originally the cloth version of the pilot’s badge was only authorized for wear by Officers ranks until regulations of November 18TH 1937 extended the authorized wear of the cloth versions to EM/NCO’s. Further regulations of May 8TH 1942 discontinued production of the cloth versions although they continued to worn through-out the war.
Shipping Weight: 0.6 lb
Your Price $1,050.00 USD