Search Our Catalog

Allgemeine & Waffen SS -
WWII Nazi German Waffen SS 33rd Grenadier Division Charlemagne Collar Tab Kragenpatte
Item #: VF3957
Click on an image to enlarge
The 33rd Waffen Grenadier SS Division Charlemagne was made up with some French volunteers.  They were arguably the last German Unit to see action in a pitched battle during World War II, where they held central Berlin and the Führerbunker against the onslaught of Soviet Infantry.  Knowing that they would not survive should Germany be defeated, they were among the last to surrender in the brutal house-to-house and street-to-street fighting during the final days of the Battle in Berlin.  It is certain that the collar tab was produced, but not certain if it was ever issued.  This is a rare collar tab and features a circle with an "X” machine embroidered in silvery-gray cloth. The tab is produced in black badge cloth with a buckram stiffener, typical Dachau construction and removed from an album.
In September 1944, a new unit, the Waffen-Grenadier-Brigade der SS "Charlemagne", was formed out of the remnants of the LVF and French Sturmbrigade, both of which were disbanded. Joining them were French collaborators fleeing the Allied advance in the west, as well as Frenchmen from the German Navy, the National Socialist Motor Corps (NSKK), the Organisation Todt and the detested Milice security police. SS-Brigadeführer Gustav Krukenberg took command, while Puaud (now a Waffen-SS Oberführer) was the nominal French commander. The two main infantry regiments were Waffen-Grenadier Regiment der SS 57 and 58. Members of the LVF were the nucleus of Regiment 57 and Sturmbrigade formed the core of Regiment 58. The LVF also manned the artillery battalion, the headquarters company and the engineer company.

In February 1945, the unit was officially upgraded to a division and renamed 33. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS "Charlemagne" (französische Nr.1). At this time it had a strength of 7,340 men. The Charlemagne Division was sent to fight the Red Army in Poland, but on 25 February it was attacked at Hammerstein (present day Czarne) in Pomerania, by troops of the Soviet 1st Belorussian Front. The Soviet forces split the French force into three pockets. One group commanded by Krukenberg survived. It was evacuated from the coast by the German Navy to Denmark and later sent to Neustrelitz for refitting; the second group with Oberführer Puaud was destroyed by Soviet artillery and the third group tried fighting its way back westward, but by 17 March all had been captured or killed

Shipping Weight: 0.6 lb
Your Price $300.00 USD