Search Our Catalog

Headgear -
WWII Nazi German Luftwaffe M35 Camouflaged Field Division Helmet Stahlhelm M35
Item #: VF3941
N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Click on an image to enlarge
The stamped, sheet steel construction helmet retains about 95% of its rough textured, field-gray over-paint. The left side of the helmet has a shadow with crazing where the Luftwaffe eagle decal is underneath the paint. The right side of the helmet also has the over-painted outline of national tri-color shield decal. All three liner retaining rivets and both inset ventilation bushings are all intact. The interior of the helmet has the original tan, M31 leather liner with all eight of its fingers and the original tie string intact. The liner shows light chafe wear to the edges. The liner has a black size ink stamp 54. The interior crown of the helmet has a faint, mostly illegible, black, oval, Beschaffungsamt, (Procurement Office), ink stamp. The reverse, interior, neck guard apron is serial number stamped, "4807" and the interior left side apron has the stamped manufacturer’s code and size, "SE62" indicating manufacture by Sächsische Emaillier-und Stanzwerke, AG Lauter, (Saxon Enamel and Die/Metal Stamp Works), size 62. The helmet comes complete brown leather chinstrap with a natural aluminum, pronged length adjustment buckle and retaining studs intact.
The first "modern" steel helmets were introduced by the French army in early 1915 and were shortly followed by the British army later that year. With plans on the drawing board, experimental helmets in the field, ("Gaede" helmet), and some captured French and British helmets the German army began tests for their own steel helmet at the Kummersdorf Proving Grounds in November, and in the field in December 1915. An acceptable pattern was developed and approved and production began at Eisen-und Hüttenwerke, AG Thale/Harz, in the spring of 1916. These first modern M16 helmets evolved into the M18 helmets by the end of WWI. The M16 and M18 helmets remained in usage through-out the Weimar Reichswehr era and on into the early years of the Third Reich until the development of the smaller, lighter M35 style helmet in June 1935. In an effort to reduced construction time and labor costs minor modifications were introduced in March 1940 resulting in the M40 helmet. Further construction modifications were undertaken in August 1942 resulting in the M42 helmet. The Luftwaffe pattern national eagle was originally introduced for wear by Fliegerschaft, (Pilot Base), personnel of the DLV, Deutscher Luftsportsverband, (German Air Sports Association), the clandestine, civilian, forerunner of the Luftwaffe on August 18TH 1934, and adopted for wear by the Luftwaffe on March 1ST 1935 along with the national tri-color shield for wear on the helmet. The first pattern national eagle was utilized until a modified second pattern eagle was introduced in late 1936 or early 1937. Regulations of June 12TH 1940 discontinued the use of the national tri-color decal and further regulations of August 28TH 1943 abolished the national eagle decal and dictated that it was also to be removed from all helmets although the directives were not completely adhered to.
Shipping Weight: 5 lbs
Your Price $700.00 USD